Summer Vacation Preview
We’re going on vacation… woo hoo! And we never do big vacations in the summer. Life happened and we couldn’t go anywhere far away in the spring, and fall is way too long to wait, so we settled on going on an actual, real summer vacation complete with a 12-hour one way road trip.
Where are we going? I think you know. Florida summertime heat, here we come!
(Toy Story Land on a busy day, but just timed it right with this photo.)
What’s new for me on this trip:
- A visit to St. Augustine! I’ve never been, but Gary has. We are staying at a friend’s house for a quick 2 nights. Not much planned except for maybe a visit to the lighthouse and dinner at a restaurant on the beach.
- Lunch at Dixie Dharma at Market on South in Orlando. It’s a vegan restaurant that I’ve been wanting to try for a few years.
- 6 night stay at a new to us resort – Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort! I’m very excited for our stay here. The resort has had extensive renovations in the past few years and I’m looking forward to trying some of the interesting options at the food court. I just wish the gondolas would be up and running!
- The Wreck It Ralph Ralph Breaks VR experience at the Void in Disney Springs. We’ve done the Star Wars experience so I’m pretty excited to see how the Wreck It Ralph one is.
- Maybe a visit to Winter Summerland mini golf course, depending on what time we roll into Orlando. We’ve never done mini golf so this we be fun if we can fit it in our schedule. With our resort package this is also included for free!
- A visit to the brand new Gran Destino Tower at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort with dinner at Toledo – Tapas, Steak & Seafood. It just opened this month. From the photos I’ve seen, it looks beautiful inside.
- A ride on Slinky Dog Dash at Toy Story Land in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Only because I have a fast pass scheduled for our last park day. The line was too long, it was way too hot to wait in line, and I couldn’t get a fast pass for it in October. I’m hoping I can snag a fast pass for it earlier in our vacation as well.
(Gary hangs out at the Tomato Loading Zone, ignoring the sign, at Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
We are on the Disney Dining Plan, which we haven’t used in years. We are very excited to have all of the snack credits and alcoholic beverages included. 😀 We specifically chose expensive buffets and character meals because we are using the dining plan. Old favorites we are revisiting again include:
- ‘Ohana dinner
- Boma dinner
- Be Our Guest lunch
- Artist Point dinner (Although it’s a Snow White themed character meal now. It was a signature restaurant when we ate there before.)
- Wolfgang Puck Express lunch
- Chef Mickey’s dinner
- Satu’li Canteen lunch
- Flame Tree Barbecue (for Gary) lunch
Yes, we will be eating and drinking well.
Speaking of drinking, we have a vacation tradition called Morning Margaritas. What better way to start our day than with margaritas!
(Morning Margaritas but I think we forgot the salt rim!)
We are doing a split stay. This means we’re staying at more than one resort during our vacation We’re starting with 6 nights at Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort and ending with 2 nights at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa.
We loved our stay at Saratoga Springs last year and wanted to go back to do some of the things we missed. Namely, for me, renting bikes for a leisurely ride around the property. You can’t beat walking to Disney Springs as well. We are also hoping to do the Derby Dash race, similar to the Beignet Dash at Disney’s Port Orleans French Quarter.
(Door sign from our stay at Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa)
Also on the docket:
- Seeing Illuminations at Epcot for the last time. The show will be ending in September and will be replaced with a limited-time show called Epcot Forever on October 1st. The actual permanent replacement show will be in 2020.
- Another visit to one of the Disney character outlet stores. We get the majority of our souvenirs here. Most park souvenirs have priced us out, unfortunately. The prices at the outlet store is relatively dirt cheap in comparison to onsite prices.
- Sweet Tomatoes! Our favorite Orlando area restaurant chain!
- Spending more time at the resorts. Swimming, renting bikes, napping… 😉
(The husband and I riding Alien Swirling Saucers at Disney’s Hollywood Studios)
As always we’ll be posting a lot on Facebook and Instagram. Follow us there!